Re: [nv-l] More location.conf questions...

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] More location.conf questions...
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:39:42 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 02:52:16 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Chris, I'm not really clear on what you are saying you are doing, and I'd like to. Let's make sure we are talking about the same thing first.

Here's a concept to understand: (this may already be well understood, but that's never stopped me before:)  A location submap has the same properties as the IP Internet submap. That is, it can only contain routers, networks, and other location icons. These are the same things that you can specify in the location.conf. A router appears at this level, and so do subnets for all of its interfaces. The router symbols you see WITHIN network submaps are placed there by ipmap automatically, not because of anything you specified in location.conf, the same way hubs and servers and printers appear in the segment submaps.

So you have a new router. To get it completely put away, you need to put these things in location.conf:

1) For each addressed interface, you need a NETWORK entry, which has 3 or 4 fields:
That is:  LocationName NetworkAddress LocationType <ParentLocation>
Each of those networks will contain a router symbol representing its interface on that subnet, automatically. But what you specify in location.conf is the network address (eg 192.168.20.0) of the interface, NOT the interface address.

2) The top-level router symbol will automatically be placed in the logical place between the location submaps. Depending on where they are, that may mean that the router is placed on the IP Internet submap. If all of the interface subnets are in the same location submap, then the router goes in there as well. If you want it to be placed somewhere else, you may add a GATEWAY entry, which has only 2 fields:
That is: LocationName RouterSelectionName
The doc actually says that you don't have to use the Router Selection Name, and that any address will do. I have not found that to work. In any case, the expectation is that you would only make ONE such entry for a given router. If you make more, you can expect unpredicable results. I would expect it to use the first one or maybe the last one. Even if you don't place all networks, you can still place the router.

I would consider using the rnetstat -I command against a router address to get a list of the networks that will have to be placed, independant of your DNS. And I would be careful to use only 1 gateway entry. If you use loopbacks, you should be able to do this neatly.

I hope this helps.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

"Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com