Re: [nv-l] incorrect symbol type

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] incorrect symbol type
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:07:53 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:19:06 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Are you looking at them in a Smartset? Often when a node is discovered, it is snapped right up and added to a smartset before it was finished being made and it might not have the final bitmap on it. If you look at it in the IP topology and it is fine, but in a Smartset it is blank, then that's what happened. You can clear it up by doing this:
Go to the smartset topology, where all of the smartsets are lined up.
Select the oval icon for the smartset in question.
On the top menu, Edit..Delete Object..From this submap (don't worry)
The oval will disappear and immediately reappear blue.
Open the smartset and it will be re-evaluated with current symbols on all members.

Detroit

James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

03/17/2004 12:10 PM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] incorrect symbol type

Symbols are determined by the /usr/OV/conf/C/oid_to_sym file.  If all the devices return the same system Object Id, then they should all have the same symbol.  If they don't respond when queried, they may get a default.   You can add entries to oid_to_sym if some are returning a different oid, but you would have to delete and re-discover them.  Symbols are set at discovery time only.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

03/17/2004 10:56 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] incorrect symbol type

Q1:   I have 10 Cisco Routers all almost identical to one another I have them placed in the seed file these are new devices,   when I start netmon with the seedfile (-s)  it finds all the Cisco devices, HOWEVER it only marks about half of them with the proper symbol.   Even though when I look at them in the objects database they all show the same attributes as far as connector =TRUE Router = TRUE ,etc.   is there a reason it is only placing the symbol and about half of them?   Or is this more of a PMR thing.  One little note (which I hate to put here) is that  these are EVPN routers.   They have an ACL that allows me to get to the loopback address of them, I have the Read Only Community string.  I can read all the information I want about them through the mib browser.

Chris Petrina