[nv-l] Routers vs. Switches

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: [nv-l] Routers vs. Switches
From: "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:13:33 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 19:23:55 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Hello all,

Its it my understanding that a device is considered a router if it has a routing table?   What I am trying to find out is how to differentiate a switch from a router.  I use routers as gateways, however switches are not gateways.  But if NV comes across a switch which happens to have a routing table (Such as a switch with an L3 card in it) it will interpret that device as a router and place it as a gateway?

Chris Petrina