[nv-l] Newbie : Discovery - Map Regen and Locations.CONF

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Newbie : Discovery - Map Regen and Locations.CONF
From: "John Sobrinho" <johnsobrinho@rogers.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 21:30:32 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 02:45:56 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hi alll...

I got the discovery done on my 450 devices and am delighted to report that we consumed about 6% available bw at peak of discovery. We did it in three chucks of 50, 150, and then 200.

We first copied location.s conf, deleted existing seed file and then added 50 devices using copy paste vi. Executed Map Regen, things looked pretty good. So we proceeded and  copied in additional devices in the same manner, opened seed file editor and forced notify network monitor.

We waited a few minutes and did a few ovobjprint on the first and last device on the list to ensure we got it discovered. We proceeded with the rest of the 250 devices in the same manner.

At the end we looked at what we got and it seems that all devices did not get populated into their respective containers. But when we searched a misplaced item the search found it in ipmap.

We tried to get the locations populated by re-running auto map regen again to no avail, tried recycling netmon again to no avail., the only noteworthy mention is that we don not have xmnxsnmpconf totally populated, but even so some of the devices listed there are not populated properly as well. All polling is turned on except config changes. New node discover managed, auto adjust is on. We are using IP on seed file, short hostname on conf panel, and relying on DNS for resolution. I am thinking that we should change snmpconf panel to ip addresses, or should this even be a concern ?.

Thanks
John