Re: [nv-l] Events Workspace in NV 7.1.3

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Events Workspace in NV 7.1.3
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:44:54 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:54:45 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I think you should think this through a bit more.  This is not as simple as you suppose.

The Enterprise ID of a trap is almost never the sysOID of the box.  And for NetView traps it never will be.  The sysOID identifies the box OS, AIX, Solaris, Windows, etc.  The trap is most likely from some other agent.  In the case of the NetView traps you mention, they will all have 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3 as their Enterprise ID because they are sent by NetView, but the sysOIDs could all be different.  NetView sends the same trap no matter what the host operating system is.   And it is never a trap attribute, so the answer to your question #3, is "none of them".

Since your traps will not have the sysOID as part of them, you will have to figure that out in some other way.  One way would be to build smartsets, either on the sysOID itself or on the vendor field that NetView sets as a result of that.

So you could then build a ruleset of the sort
        Event Stream(block) --> Trap Settings (for the NetView enterprise and select the ones you want) --> QuerySmartset (attribute 2 for NetView traps) --> Foward

Or you could generate a list of hosts from your smartset using "nvUtil l <smartsetname>"  and use that to build a filter with the Filter editor, filtered.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Meyos Yemveng <yemveng@yahoo.ca>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

04/06/2004 11:04 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] Events Workspace in NV 7.1.3

Thanks Jane,
I am having a problem about the event matching configuration.

1- I want to create a workspace for a specific device type with sysObjectID = 1.3.6.1.4.1.xx.yy.zz for example
2- I want All events (Treshold, Node UP, Node Down, etc ..) and All Traps from that Device type to be displayed on that Workspace

3- What Attributes represents  the sysObjectID? is it the EntrepriseID?

4- What about when  you want to display events from all Devices from the same vendor, can youu use "Greater or equal to" selection?

5- Any suggestions

6- any *.rs file sample would help.

Thank You,
Meyos