Re: [nv-l] NetView and MySQL

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView and MySQL
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 11:11:33 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:28:01 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

I'm sorry but I'm having a bit of trouble interpreting just what you are asking.
Let me see if this will clarify things somewhat.

1.  NetView for UNIX does not require a relational database to work.  However,  if you have an RDBMS,  and both it  and your Operating System  were  one of those supported by the Tivoli RIM component, then you could install all three, the Tivoli Framework, and both RIM and NetView,  under that. This would make your NetView box a managed node in a Tivoli Management region, and NetView a managed resource on that managed node.  Once this were accomplished, then you could install the NetView DataBase Component, which is only available when you install NetView via The Tivoli Framework.  Having installed all that, then you could proceed to offload topology, event, or collected MIB data, into your  RDBMS for further analysis.  I thought that was the original question you were asking.    My understanding is that  some level of the Framework is indeed available for Linux, but RIM is not, though, as I said this may have recently changed.

2. Sending NetView events to the Tivoli Event Console (TEC) can be done whether or not  NetView is installed with the Framework.   When NetView is not installed under the Tivoli Framework, one can use the non-TME  method of sending events to TEC.   You are correct about this.

3  Graphing collected MIB data is a function that can be done solely within NetView, without an RDBMS.  But only current data can be graphed.  First the snmpCollect daemon can be configured to collect the  information using the xnmcollect command, or from the map GUI under   Tools --> Data Collection and Thresholds : SNMP . . .    This brings up the MIB Data Collection panel in which you can resume or suspend data collection for the MIB Objects defined there, or create new ones.  But until the daemon has collected data, there will be nothing to graph.  You can tell whether there is data or not by clicking the "Show Data" button on the MIB Data Collection panel.

I hope this helps.

I myself do not work with the snmpCollect daemon and graphing collected data on a regular basis, but if you can describe the steps you took and the problem you are having in more detail, then perhaps other users can respond.  If you choose to go that route, then be sure to indicate what steps you took and what  error messages did you got.    Of course, you can always open a problem to IBM Support in your local area and get personalized assistance.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

MUM@zahid.com
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

04/12/2004 09:54 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com, owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject
Re: [nv-l] NetView and MySQL

Just for you information NetView on Linux does not support Tivoli Environment. So there is no question of having Tivoli Frame work but the Event Manager could route the events to Tivoli Frame Work if you have one in your environment.

Further more, NetView in AIX has support for Tivoli Frame Work and can be installed using Tivoli Desktop.

Is it essential to have a relation (or no relational) database for NetView to Work?

We did manage to install NetView and we are getting some information but this information is not very clear and we can not for example create a Graph based on collected data, could you please provide some help in this regard?

Thanks and Regards

Mahmoud U. Mudhaffar

Senior Technical Support, IT/HO

Zahid Tractor & Heavy Machinery Co. Ltd

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Tel:
966 2 6631211/6610468 Ext. 234
Fax:
966 2 6690727

E-Mail:
mum@zahid.com
Visit us at
http://www.zahid.com

James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

12/04/2004 04:22 PM
Please respond to
nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] NetView and MySQL

Basically, No.

RDBMS support for the NetView for UNIX versions requires using the Tivoli RIM (Relational Database Interface Manager) product,  which in turn requires the Tivoli Framework.  The way it works is that NetView talks to RIM, and RIM to the RDBMS.  As it says in the 7.1.4 Release Notes, in the section "Product Notes",  under the seventh bulleted item, that  there is no RIM support for Linux because there is no support for RIM in the Tivoli Management Region on Linux.   But this may have changed recently.   I don't know as I don't keep up on Framework issues.

But even if RIM were now available on Linux so that you could install it and NetView using the Framework, I would not expect that MySQL was a supported RDBMs for RIM.  In the past only DB2, Informix, Oracle, and Sybase schemas were available for NetView.

James Shanks

Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

MUM@zahid.com
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

04/11/2004 01:19 AM

Please respond to

nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] NetView and MySQL

Hi,

NetView        : 7.4.1

OS                : SuSE 8.1 Professional

Does NetView support MySQL? If so then can you please refer to me a document which explains how it can be done.

Thanks and Regards

Mahmoud U. Mudhaffar

Senior Technical Support, IT/HO

Zahid Tractor & Heavy Machinery Co. Ltd

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia

Tel: 966 2 6631211/6610468 Ext. 234

Fax: 966 2 6690727

E-Mail:
mum@zahid.com
Visit us at
http://www.zahid.com

Visit us at http://www.zahid.com

                            ********Legal Disclaimer********
The information in this message is confidential and may
be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the
addressee. Access to this  message by anyone else
is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or
any action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Please immediately contact
the sender if  you have received this message in error.