Re: [nv-l] NT MLM's with a UNIX central host

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NT MLM's with a UNIX central host
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:23:31 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:48:53 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Attended MLM is a Window-only configuration.

IMHO, the MLM on Windows was ported by people who did not understand it's function, which is to off-load polling and data collection to a remote device, so that the central box is left free to do other things.  There is no good reason to have the  remote device also be a NetView.

You can have your remote device be a Windows box if you like.  Personally, I'd stay with UNIX for consistency of features and operation.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

04/20/2004 10:08 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
[nv-l] NT MLM's with a UNIX central host

Greetings,

Has anyone attempted to use Windows Netview as MLM's and have the central Netview server be a UNIX box.  I do not see anything in particular about this, I have looked over the Attended MLM section of the manuals, but it seems this does not allow the same type of configurationa nd communication between the central Netview box and the remote site MLM's.  if I am understanding it correctly having all unix would allow for each one at the remote sites to monitor its own subnets and configured networks locally and should anything happen to the local MLM the central server would pick up the slack and monitor those segments until the MLM was returned to working status.  I do not see anything about the Attended MLM's (Windows netviews) with a unix central netview that would allow the same configuration.  Am I mistaken?  And is it possible to do in this manner?

Thank you

Chris Petrina

This electronic message contains information from MeadWestvaco
Corporation or subsidiary companies, which may be confidential,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The
information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s)
named. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that
any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify MeadWestvaco
immediately at postmaster@MeadWestvaco.com.