Re: [nv-l] Icons not showing SNMP device type

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Icons not showing SNMP device type
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 09:54:58 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 27 May 2004 15:13:09 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

You don't have the symbol option because you don't have the map open read-write.  Only the user who has the map open read-write can make changes to it.  the others merely watch.  So any time you are going to modify the map you will need to open it read-write.  Why didn't that happen automatically? Well, you must not be the first user to open the map.

If it is opened read-only, then someone else has it read-write, and you will have to take it away from them to do this.
Is netviewd running?  Then most likely he has it.   You have to start the GUI with "netview -dconsole" to ensure you have the read-write map, or ovstop netviewd, as has been explained on this forum over and over again.  Of course, this will halt all your web console user sessions.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Mario Behring <mariobehring@yahoo.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

05/27/2004 09:42 AM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject
Re: [nv-l] Icons not showing SNMP device type

James,

I tried what you said, but the Symbol option is not active, only the
Object option is ... but if I use that I will delete the object from all
maps and the desired efect will not be the same I guess.

I also noticed that, at the bottom of the screen, it shows that the
default map is opened as read-only. Is that correct ? Shouldn´t it be
opened as read-write ?

Thank you for your help so far.

Mario Behring
Tivoli Certified Consultant