Re: [nv-l] Icons not showing SNMP device type

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Icons not showing SNMP device type
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 15:08:45 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 May 2004 20:19:36 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Mario,

Try this experiment:

 Open your read-write map, and
1. Drill down into your smartset and select one of those nodes which is just a computer there, but which has a more elaborate symbol in the IP Internet map.
2. Right click it, and select Edit --> Delete --> Symbol
3. Exit the GUI
4. Restart the GUI and drill down again.

The restart should require that a new symbol to be placed in the smartset, since you only deleted the symbol and not the object itself in Step 2.  That should mean that collmap will have to go find another one to use, and with any luck it will be the correct one, as shown on the   IP Internet map.

Does this change anything?

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Mario Behring <mariobehring@yahoo.com>
Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

05/26/2004 02:25 PM
Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk
Subject
Re: [nv-l] Icons not showing SNMP device type

Jane,

The devices are showing up with the right symbol in the IP Internet map
and with the Computer (plain square) symbol at the Smartsets.

The difference, for some of these devices, is that the devices that are
inside the Smartsets appear with a full DNS qualified name and at the IP
Internet does not. But there are also, for instance, Cisco Switches that
have the Multi-port symbol in the IPInternet Map and the Computer in the
Smartset, even having only an IP address as hostname.

Very unusual behaviour ...

Mario

=== message truncated ===