[nv-l] ICMP ping loopback NO status polling

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: [nv-l] ICMP ping loopback NO status polling
From: "Christopher J Petrina" <cjp8@meadwestvaco.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:17:33 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:32:01 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Hello all.

now to ge toff the MLM subject.  have a new curiosity.

Is it possible to ICMP ping a routers loopback and NOT status poll all the other interfaces serial, ETH, etc...on that router.  <- The only time it is polled in that regards is for COnfiguration polling which occurs every 24 hours.

We want to simply have the routers and switches send traps back to NV if a interface goes down.   The only Interface on the device we care about polling (ICMP) is the loopback address. Is it possible to stop the SNMP polling of all the other interfaces on that device?    I hope this makes sense.  I want all other itnerfaces to only inform me via traps.  The reason for all this is too reduce netmon polling cycle time.

Thank You
Chris Petrina

This electronic message contains information from MeadWestvaco
Corporation or subsidiary companies, which may be confidential,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. The
information is intended to be used solely by the recipient(s)
named. If you are not an intended recipient, be aware that
any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
transmission or its contents is prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify MeadWestvaco
immediately at postmaster@MeadWestvaco.com.