Re: [nv-l] Maps in Read-Only mode

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Maps in Read-Only mode
From: Paul <pstroud@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:33:33 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:35:21 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Vladan,
netviewd is started when the daemons start, he is a daemon.
So once you login, netviewd is already running. In the past you
may not have had netviewd or not had it registered. If you do
not use the web client, you can de-register netviewd:

/usr/OV/bin/ovdelobj /usr/OV/lrf/netviewd.lrf

I would suggest stopping the daemon(s)(ovstop or ovstop netviewd)
before running this command. Once it is not registered anymore,
you should not have to worry about the read-write map as the first
map opened will always be read-write. If you have a problem with
other people running maps and you need the read-write map, you
can run "nv6000_smit KILLEUIS" and that should stop any other
running maps.

You should always be able to obtain a read-write map by running
"netview -dconsole", unless, of course, someone else has it running
in X.

Paul

Vladan Milosevic wrote:

Could you help me with this:

I restarted the machine, the first log on was from me through X, I have
started Netview, the first map I opened was in RO mode. Why is this not
happening every time? I never start netview before netviewd is started,
or am I way off the target?

I rarely use Web, but I did some time ago (still, that was before the
restart).

If netviewd opens maps in RW always, how can I use RW for X sessions?

Once again, sorry for this low level discussion, but I am trying to find
a way to have answers to most of the questions others will ask me...

Have a nice day, and many thanks to Paul and Dejan.

Vladan