Re: [nv-l] ovwdb high CPU after upgrade to 7.1.4

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] ovwdb high CPU after upgrade to 7.1.4
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:38:49 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:41:19 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Well, you may have checked it, but it's wrong
the entry you show says " -n5000"
for 25000 objects it should say "-n30000" which is 25000 plus 20 per cent

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
Inactive hide details for "Jorge A. Jiles" <jorge.jiles@ualberta.ca>"Jorge A. Jiles" <jorge.jiles@ualberta.ca>

          "Jorge A. Jiles" <jorge.jiles@ualberta.ca>
          Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

          01/25/05 06:02 PM
          Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

cc

Subject

Re: [nv-l] ovwdb high CPU after upgrade to 7.1.4

Yes, I checked that already. Bellow is the configuration of ovwdb.lrf. I'm not familiar with what is in the FFDC directory.

OVs_YES_START:nvsecd:-O,-n50000,-t:OVs_WELL_BEHAVED:15:/usr/OV/conf/FFDC/scripts/ovwdb_FFDC:5:

      Have you checked the ovwdb cache size to make sure it is greater than the 25000 objects? The default is 5000. Change it with serversetup.

      James Shanks
      Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
      Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
      b9df8ede.gif"Jorge A. Jiles" <jorge.jiles@ualberta.ca>
                      "Jorge A. Jiles" <jorge.jiles@ualberta.ca> Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

                      01/25/2005 05:33 PM
                      Please respond to nv-l
      b9df8f0d.gif
      b9df8f0d.gif
      nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

      b9df8f0d.gif
cc
      b9df8f0d.gif
      b9df8f0d.gif
Subject
      b9df8f0d.gif
      [nv-l] ovwdb high CPU after upgrade to 7.1.4

      b9df8f0d.gifb9df8f0d.gif

      Netview 7.1.4
      Solaris 8
      Sun blade 1000 2x750 CPU
      2 GB RAM
      Approximately 25000 objects in the database

      I just upgraded Netview from 7.1 to 7.1.4. The upgrade seemed ok, no errors
      during the installations or the log files. The problem I'm having is that
      now ovwdb process uses as much as 50% of CPU processing. The GUI
      synchronizes constantly making the application very slow in response time.
      I did the same upgrade in my test system with no problems, although it runs
      a much smaller database.
      I think I read somewhere a while ago about this situation, but I can not
      remember what the recommended solution was. I can not find this problem in
      the release notes.

      If any one has any recommendation in how to solve this problem, it will be
      highly appreciated.

      Thanks
      .

      Jorge A Jiles