Re: [nv-l] ovwdb high CPU after upgrade to 7.1.4

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] ovwdb high CPU after upgrade to 7.1.4
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:37:08 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:37:38 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Ooops! My apologies. It's been pointed out to me that I'm blind and that your entry is fifty thousand not five thousand.
Of course, despite the fact that you just migrated to 7.1.4 you are still a full 2 fixpacks behind on maintenance and the third will be out at the end of March. You plain old 7.1. has been out of support for a couple of years now.

Don't know what else to tell you as ovwdb is not my area, but there are some things you could look at.
(1) Have you done ovtopofix lately? That's always a good idea when the GUI is synchronizing too frequently.
(2) smartsets. Are you using them for community name resolution in xnmsnmpconf? That's OK but after you migrate the cache for it is empty and has to be rebuilt. So you would have netmon bugging nvcold and him bugging ovwdb for answers, If you started the GUI immediately after the upgrade, then collmap would be doing the same thing. Don't know how long you let netmon run before starting there GUI after the upgrade but that could account for the high usage. Has it leveled off any?

If not, you should probably contact Support, though I am almost certain they will recommend that you apply FP02. It's exceptionally difficult to troubleshoot a problem when the system with the problem is not at the level which the troubleshooter has.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
Inactive hide details for James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUSJames Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

          James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
          Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

          01/25/2005 08:38 PM
          Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

cc

Subject

Re: [nv-l] ovwdb high CPU after upgrade to 7.1.4

Well, you may have checked it, but it's wrong
the entry you show says " -n5000"
for 25000 objects it should say "-n30000" which is 25000 plus 20 per cent

Inactive hide details for "Jorge A. Jiles" <jorge.jiles@ualberta.ca>"Jorge A. Jiles" <jorge.jiles@ualberta.ca>

                  "Jorge A. Jiles" <jorge.jiles@ualberta.ca>
                  Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

                  01/25/05 06:02 PM

Please respond to

nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
cc
Subject

Re: [nv-l] ovwdb high CPU after upgrade to 7.1.4

Yes, I checked that already. Bellow is the configuration of ovwdb.lrf. I'm not familiar with what is in the FFDC directory.

OVs_YES_START:nvsecd:-O,-n50000,-t:OVs_WELL_BEHAVED:15:/usr/OV/conf/FFDC/scripts/ovwdb_FFDC:5:

          Have you checked the ovwdb cache size to make sure it is greater than the 25000 objects? The default is 5000. Change it with serversetup.

          James Shanks
          Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
          Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

          b9df8ede.gif"Jorge A. Jiles" <jorge.jiles@ualberta.ca>
                                          "Jorge A. Jiles" <jorge.jiles@ualberta.ca> Sent by: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

                                          01/25/2005 05:33 PM
                                          Please respond to nv-l
          b9df8f0d.gif
          b9df8f0d.gif
          nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

          b9df8f0d.gif
cc
          b9df8f0d.gif
          b9df8f0d.gif
Subject
          b9df8f0d.gif
          [nv-l] ovwdb high CPU after upgrade to 7.1.4

          b9df8f0d.gifb9df8f0d.gif

          Netview 7.1.4
          Solaris 8
          Sun blade 1000 2x750 CPU
          2 GB RAM
          Approximately 25000 objects in the database

          I just upgraded Netview from 7.1 to 7.1.4. The upgrade seemed ok, no errors
          during the installations or the log files. The problem I'm having is that
          now ovwdb process uses as much as 50% of CPU processing. The GUI
          synchronizes constantly making the application very slow in response time.
          I did the same upgrade in my test system with no problems, although it runs
          a much smaller database.
          I think I read somewhere a while ago about this situation, but I can not
          remember what the recommended solution was. I can not find this problem in
          the release notes.

          If any one has any recommendation in how to solve this problem, it will be
          highly appreciated.

          Thanks
          .

          Jorge A Jiles