RE: [nv-l] Interface down not receiving!

To: "'nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com'" <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Interface down not receiving!
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:17:39 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:19:47 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Let me chime in with some observations.  It's now evening in Jane's town and I hope she's having supper.

1. You won't get traps from a box you turn off. Computers without power don't send messages very well.  That's why we poll from NetView.   When you turn it back on you get coldStart if it's so configured.

2. NetView's polling is adaptive.  It starts by waiting the indicated time between retries then increases the time between each retry.  Three retries with three minute intervals is at least ten minutes wait.  Are you waiting long enough.  Normally timeouts are set in seconds.

Bill Evans