Re: [nv-l] Specifying the source attribute on custom Netview events, and

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Specifying the source attribute on custom Netview events, and snmptrap
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:04:39 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 May 2005 15:05:20 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

Leslie,

Let me get this straight.
(1)  You are sending your own NetView events, ones with the NetView OID,
using snmptrap.
(2)   You see the correct source character, the one you defined, in the
trapd.log.
(3)  You see a "d" in the nvcorrd trace for the source character.
(4)  This is peculiar to NetView events, not other enterprises.

Correct?

Are these your own specific ids or ones NetView defines?
What value are you using for varbind 1?

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Leslie
             Clark/Southfield/
             IBM@IBMUS                                                  To
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       [nv-l] Specifying the source
             05/12/2005 09:27          attribute on custom Netview events,
             AM                        and snmptrap

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

Am I imagining this? I was sure that I have, in the past, generated custom
traps with snmptrap, defined them in trapd.conf, and assigned them source
characters (like "A" or "N") and had it work.  It appears to work when you
look at the trap log, but when I look at the nvcorrd trace, I see it is "d"
no matter what I put in trapd.conf. So if the event comes from inside the
box, perhaps the source character does not get applied until after nvcorrd
has it's crack at it?
I don't see any option on the snmptrap command to affect this value. But
the event command does have an option. I wonder what it is doing?

Detroit