Re: [nv-l] Network Activity --> Ethernet --> Traffic/Errors... Menu

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Network Activity --> Ethernet --> Traffic/Errors... Menu
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:24:09 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:24:55 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
automatic way to enable this menu item for Cisco.  It's legacy HP stuff,
designed to work with specific HP SNMP agents.  How can you see that?
Check the registration for it in /usr/OV/registration.

If you go search the /usr/OV/registration/C/  directory  looking for
"Traffic" you'll find that the menu item
      Monitor-->Network Activity --> Ethernet --> Traffic/Errors
takes you to a file called /usr/OV/registration/C/ovip/NNM-IP.gph  which
defines this activity.   The action for Traffic points to an action called
"etherTrafficHP" and the action for Errors points to "etherErrorsHP".
We'll just look at the Traffic case to see how it works; the Errors case is
similar.

    Action "etherTrafficHP" {
        MinSelected     1;
        SelectionRule   isNode
                        && (isSNMPSupported || isSNMPProxied)
                        && (SNMPAgent == "HP 9000/HP-UX" ||
                            SNMPAgent == "HP 3000/XL"    ||
                            SNMPAgent == "HP SunOS Sparc"||
                            SNMPAgent == "HP Hub"        ||
                            SNMPAgent == "HP Bridge"     ||
                            SNMPAgent == "HP Router") ;
        NameField       "IP Hostname", "IP Address", "Selection Name";
        Command "${xnmgraph:-/usr/OV/bin/xnmgraph} \
            -title \"Monitor: Ethernet Traffic\" \
            -units \"Packets\" \
            -helpFile ovip/OVW/Functions/HP.ifTraffic \
            -mib \".1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.4.1.1.1.2:Packets
Transmitted::.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.3:^[^1]$|^1.$|^2[^4]$|^[3-9].$:.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2:[
 ;]::,.1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.4.1.1.1.12:Packets
Received::.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.3:^[^1]$|^1.$|^2[^4]$|^[3-9].$:.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2:[
 ;]::\" \
            ${OVwSelections}";
    }

Notice that for the option to not be gray'd out, you have to select
something on the map which is both "isNode" and is supported by SNMP, and
is a particular kind of HP SNMP agent.  That's because in the -mib section,
the MIBs we are going to query are HP MIBs  ( .1.3.6.1.4.1.11 is HP) and
also some MIB-2 stuff.  How all this menu stuff works is covered in detail
in Part 1 of the NetView Programmer's Guide.

So to get this to work on Cisco you'd have to determine what MIB variables
you'd want to graph, and then change these entries to support that.

But a better way to achieve a similar result is to use the Tools --> MIB
Application Builder, which allows you to specify what selection criteria,
and which MIB variables are to be queried or displayed or graphed.  Look at
the samples there.  But it's still up to you to determine what MIB
variables you want this to work on.

Perhaps someone else has one they are willing to share.

As for the web client, the option you describe is not even there.  What you
can get easily is already there.   If you want to write your own item and
then modify the web client GUI to display that as an option, then I'd
suggest you start looking in the archives for how to modify the web client
menus.  This is not a trivial task, unless once again, you can find another
user who has already done it and is will to share.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Meyos Yemveng
             <yemveng@yahoo.ca
             Sent by:                  netview Tivoli
             owner-nv-l@lists.         <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             08/19/2005 02:57          [nv-l] Network Activity -->
             PM                        Ethernet --> Traffic/Errors...
                                       Menu

             Please respond to
                   nv-l

NV 7.1.3 FP3 SOL

H Folks,

I am trying  to monitor real time Ethernet Traffic for Cisco Routers
Interfaces.
But to my surprise the Menu Monitor-->Network Activity --> Ethernet -->
Traffic/Errors is disabled when selecting a Cisco Router.

Q1: How can I enable that feature for Cisco Routers

Q2: How Can I make that functionality available from the Web Console Menu
When Selecting a Cisco Router. (I do not want to use the Mib browser)

Thank You,
Meyos
"ALLEZ LES LIONS INDOMPTABLES"