[nv-l] ITSA, ovtopodump and fully-qualified selection names

Subject: [nv-l] ITSA, ovtopodump and fully-qualified selection names
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:45:46 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:47:21 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
NetView 7.1.4 FP3, plus ITSA 1.3 (no patches) on SuSE 9.1 Pro.

I have 3 different switches, all of which have been happily discovered and managed by ITSA in the past. I had deleted them all entirely from the NetView database and checked ovtopodump -X to ensure there were no Layer 2 entries left. "Node Deleted" events noted in NetView event log.

Rediscovered switches with NetView - no problems. Selection names are switch.skills-1st.co.uk, switch2.skills-1st.co.uk and switch3.skills-1st.co.uk (imaginative huh!).

Use Layer2 menus to initiate rediscovery - works for switch2 and fails for the other 2. Tried underlying "L2_topo_req.sh -s switch.skills-1st.co.uk" and get usage error suggesting it couldn't find the Selection Name. Tried "L2_topo_req.sh -o <correct object id (found from ovtopodump) > - no error message / all OK. Tried "L2_topo_req.sh -s switch.skills-1st.co.uk." - note trailing "." on selection name - and bless me if it didn't work!!!

Deleted all 3 switches entirely and completely recycled all NetView daemons. Rediscovered 3 switches - same symptoms.

Digging deeper, ovobjprint definitely has Selection Name fields without the trailing "."; however "ovtopodump -lr switch2.skills-1st.co.uk" gives information but "ovtopodump -lr switch.skills-1st.co.uk" does not - it DOES if you put a trailing "." on.

I thought initially I had an ITSA problem but now I suspect NetView topology database issues. Not sure where ITSA goes for its info but I am suspecting topo rather than object database.....

Has anyone seen anything remotely like this before??
Cheers,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2005 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights