Re: [nv-l] [UPDATE] ITSA, ovtopodump and fully-qualified selection names

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] [UPDATE] ITSA, ovtopodump and fully-qualified selection names
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:14:46 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:15:53 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
On closer inspection, ovtopofix -a was showing entries for switch and switch3 (fully qualified) as objects existing but not in any maps. Couldn't find them in any maps. Found entries in the object database for each with the "REMOVED" tag.

Used ovwdbdmap -d <object id> on the REMOVED objects to really get rid of them and then did ovtopofix -a again.

Restarting everything and rediscovering seems to have cleared the problem - ovobjprint, ovtopodump and ITSA all now seem to go agree on fully-qualified names with out the trailing ".".

Cheers,
Jane

Jane Curry wrote:

NetView 7.1.4 FP3, plus ITSA 1.3 (no patches) on SuSE 9.1 Pro.

I have 3 different switches, all of which have been happily discovered and managed by ITSA in the past. I had deleted them all entirely from the NetView database and checked ovtopodump -X to ensure there were no Layer 2 entries left. "Node Deleted" events noted in NetView event log.

Rediscovered switches with NetView - no problems. Selection names are switch.skills-1st.co.uk, switch2.skills-1st.co.uk and switch3.skills-1st.co.uk (imaginative huh!).

Use Layer2 menus to initiate rediscovery - works for switch2 and fails for the other 2. Tried underlying "L2_topo_req.sh -s switch.skills-1st.co.uk" and get usage error suggesting it couldn't find the Selection Name. Tried "L2_topo_req.sh -o <correct object id (found from ovtopodump) > - no error message / all OK. Tried "L2_topo_req.sh -s switch.skills-1st.co.uk." - note trailing "." on selection name - and bless me if it didn't work!!!

Deleted all 3 switches entirely and completely recycled all NetView daemons. Rediscovered 3 switches - same symptoms.

Digging deeper, ovobjprint definitely has Selection Name fields without the trailing "."; however "ovtopodump -lr switch2.skills-1st.co.uk" gives information but "ovtopodump -lr switch.skills-1st.co.uk" does not - it DOES if you put a trailing "." on.

I thought initially I had an ITSA problem but now I suspect NetView topology database issues. Not sure where ITSA goes for its info but I am suspecting topo rather than object database.....

Has anyone seen anything remotely like this before??
Cheers,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2005 Jane Curry <jane.curry@skills-1st.co.uk>.  All rights