[nv-l] Dynamic Workspace

To: <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
Subject: [nv-l] Dynamic Workspace
From: "Catalina Martinez" <Catalina.Martinez@tlc.state.tx.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:17:05 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 14:17:36 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Hello List,

Running AIX 5.2 Netview 7.1.4 FP3

We created a Dynamic works space for  the operators to use. We save this
environment and edit the NVevents file so it would come up whenever they
start netview. This files is their home directories. In several
occasions, the workspace has not come up. I edited
"nvevents.loadEnOnInit=True" in the .xdefaults file. We've closed it and
then recreate it and saved and logged off and it came up. It seems that
it saves it temporary. I know that this does not sound right and that's
why I'm posting this. There are several questions that I'm going to ask
and hopefully I make sense.

1) In the middle of the night, the Operators, closed their read-only map
and brought it back up. No events showed up in their main "forwardall"
window. They expected to see the same events that were displayed at the
time when they closed the map. Is there a timing issue?

2) The reason they closed their map was because, the dynamic workspace
was doing "nothing". They would double click to bring up and event and
nothing would happen. It seemed it was frozen (they said the main even
window was OK before they closed it) -- why would this happen.

3) When they brought up their map, the separate "dynamic" workspace did
not come up. I checked their NvEnvironment directory and the file
"Workspaces" does not contain the information for the dynamic workspace.
It was there before because I've made sure last week that it was  there.

I may not be saving the dynamic workspace correctly? What is the proper
way of saving the dynamic workspace? "file -- > save as" or "toggle -
"save environment". At this point, not sure how to save the environment.

4) When the operators xterm to the server and launched netview, the
following error ocurred:

/usr/bin/netview[64] ulimit 0403-045
The specified value is outside the user's allowable range.
Check netview_liscopr.log for details.

5) their log shows the following:
Tue Jan 31 06:26:25 CST 2006
Initialization complete, opened map 'default' as Read-Only.
log4j:ERROR setFile(null,true) call failed.log4j:ERROR
setFile(null,true) call f
ailed.
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/OV/log/maptreeserver.log (The file
access permissions do not allow the specified action.)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:114)
        at java.io.FileWriter.<init>(FileWriter.java:66)
        at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:284)
        at
org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.setFile(RollingFileAppender.java
:198)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/OV/log/virtualdesktop.log (The file
access permissions do not allow the specified action.)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.openAppend(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:114)
        at java.io.FileWriter.<init>(FileWriter.java:66)
        at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.setFile(FileAppender.java:284)
        at
org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender.setFile(RollingFileAppender.java
:198)
        at
org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:239)
at org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:239)
        at
org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java(I
nlined Compiled Code))
        at
org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.j
ava(Compiled Code))
        at
org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperties(PropertySetter.j
ava(Compiled Code))
        at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseAppender(PropertyConfigura
tor.java(Compiled Code))
        at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory(PropertyConfigura
tor.java(Compiled Code))
        at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configureRootCategory(PropertyC
onfigurator.java:479)
        at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurato
r.java:403)
        at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurato
r.java:302)
        at
org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configure(PropertyConfigurator.
java:310)
        at com.tivoli.netview.maptree.server.Main.main(Main.java:90)

        at
org.apache.log4j.FileAppender.activateOptions(FileAppender.java:239)
        at
org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.activate(PropertySetter.java(I
Starting maptreeserver
Parsing configuration file /usr/OV/conf/C/explore.conf1    [main] INFO
com.tivo
li.netview.maptree.server.MapTreeServer  - Server is ready to accept
connections
 on port 63062
Server is ready to accept connections on port 63062
ovwinit succeeded