Re: [NV-L] Demandpoll Problems

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Demandpoll Problems
From: Mark Sklenarik <marksk@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 12:07:20 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:03:07 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Hi David,
Are both machines defined correctly in "xnmsnmpconf", specifically the community string?

Did you try a "mib browser" of failing device to make sure NetView is using correct community name?  Select the working device, browser it, then enter the address or name of other device and attempt to browser same mib,  does the browser show the correct community name being used?

Also, did you check the 3550 to ensure that NetView machine is allowed to query snmp on it?  It is a problem I have run into here in the lab with newly deployed devices. My network tech, is telling me that I have to provide a name/address of all machines I want to access the Cisco device, and since I am in a test lab, the number of machines that need access to Cisco devices, gets fairly long.

Did you provide community string with the snmpwalk command, or let command get it from NetView?
Try the snmpwalk command with a -d option and no community string, to see if command gets the correct community string from NetView.
   "snmpwalk -d [3550name] system"  -- check output for correct community string being used.

Regards Mark
 Mark F Sklenarik , CTFL
 IBM SWG Tivoli Solutions ,  Software Quality Engineer

  marksk@us.lbm.com

International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB)
Certified Tester Foundation Level

"Liu, David" <david.liu@eds.com>
Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

07/10/2006 11:03 AM
Please respond to
Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

"Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[NV-L] Demandpoll Problems

 Dear list,

Need your advise and experience on the following problem.

NV714, FP3, Solaris trying to discover Cisco 3550 switch with routing
function (several VLAN configured and using community string index).

The strange thing is that two switches with the same configuration, one
can be discovered and the other not (even I loadhosts it manually, then
demandpoll doesn't work, in the NON-snmp smartset). They are in the same
subnet too (they are in the same room). Command line snmpwalk worked
fine for both.

Can you help? Thank you in advance.

Regards,
David