Re: [NV-L] Slotmap formatting change from 7.1.3 and 7.1.4?

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Slotmap formatting change from 7.1.3 and 7.1.4?
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:59:31 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 19:00:20 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

The short answer is that you cannot proceed in this fashion. A separate fix for IY53703 for 7.1.3 was never built. The code changes were simply integrated into the base. And once that base shipped, as part of FixPack4 for 7.1.3, there's no going pack. That's the new base level for 7.1.3. Your easy choices are to stay where you are or come up to current level.

Your best bet is to obtain FixPack4 for 7.1.3 and install that. Since each FixPack supersedes those before it, you don't have to apply anything else first. And this should not be a difficult installation. The biggest issue will be filesystem space, since the process keeps a copy of all the files it replaces so you can backout the entire thing if you don't like the result and restore to your current level. The entire installation, from stopping the daemons to restarting them again, takes twenty to thirty minutes.

Of course, if you'd like, you can contact IBM support and tell Level 2 that what you want is an unsupported one-off patch for IY53703. That would update just trapd and libems.a. But it would be unsupported because it lies outside the normal process -- no one has ever tested just bringing trapd and the shared library up to a newer level than the rest of the system. You'd have to back it off if it didn't work or caused problems elsewhere. That's the thing about a FixPack -- all the fixes have been tested together for several weeks to make certain they are complimentary and one doesn't break another.

I'm sorry, but as Walter Cronkite used to say, "That's the way it is."

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for sean.lawrence@cantire.comsean.lawrence@cantire.com

          sean.lawrence@cantire.com
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          10/30/2006 12:43 PM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

Re: [NV-L] Slotmap formatting change from 7.1.3 and 7.1.4?

James,

Where can I download IY53703. We have not started testing 7.1.4 yet as it is tied to use splitting the
TEC database from our Netview/TEC server.

I need to get a fix in for this quick and a small patch will be easier to
fast track.

Sean Lawrence
Systems Automation
Ext 5728

James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
10/27/2006 03:03 PM
Please respond to Tivoli NetView Discussions