Re: [NV-L] Interface Down

To: nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Interface Down
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 13:25:49 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 18:23:48 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
I'm sorry, Bill.  But netmon has no such option.  You'd have to devise some
other way.  For example, you could create a smartset for  down interfaces
and run a cron job that ran a script to query it periodically, with nvUtil
l  <smartset>, to see what was in it.  For each member you could create new
events too using the event command,  event -e IDWN_EV -d "Interface
<member_name> is still down" .   You get the idea.

 Another way might be to change how your ops people handle tickets, perhaps
requiring a different person to close the thing than the guy who worked on
it, so that none are closed without a resolution.  I'm not a Remedy guy so
I can't help you with automation there.

And I can't tell you how Precision's monitoring works with that level of
detail.  Sorry once again.

Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp

             Larry Fagan
             <larrytechie@yaho
             o.com>                                                     To
                                       James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
             12/05/2007 12:52                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [NV-L] Interface Down
             Please respond to
             larrytechie@yahoo
                   .com

James,
I understand our operations messed it up. I was just trying to understand
are there any options on netmon to send duplicates for interface downs?
We are thinking of Precison IP as well? Will Precision IP also have same
feature as netmon?
Thanks,
Bill

Yes, it's by design.  netmon only sends an interface down event when the
interface was up on the previous check.  That's the whole point, that this
is new information.   It knows what it  what the last status was because
it's stored in the topology database.

I'm not at all sure what kind of a solution you are asking for.  Why should
netmon send you a duplicate event?  I did not follow your remarks about
TEC and Remedy , so I don't see how that is relevant.   What I got from
your first post was that your operations people messed up.  How is NetView
supposed to prevent that?

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows Network