RE: [NV-L] Interface Down

To: "Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [NV-L] Interface Down
From: "Van Order, Drew \(US - Hermitage\)" <dvanorder@deloitte.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 09:04:34 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 14:05:42 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
Bill,

I'm a little behind in reading the list these days. This happens to us quite a bit, and no doubt other customers as well. We have automated ticket generation with CA Service Desk. It's a mess every time it occurs, and it's a process issue. I grew weary defending NetView when it was correct 99.9% of the time, and finally wrote a post-mortem process for ops to follow to determine if the technology failed or the process broke down. It only covers the 'why'. Training and motivation are what prevent it from happening in the first place--and that's always a big challenge. Oops, guess I should have said opportunity ;-)