Re: [NV-L] HELP

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] HELP
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:03:26 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:04:23 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

There is only one service, the NetView service and it should be started for you automatically when your Windows system boots. In normal operations there should be no need to stop it or start it manually, so perhaps you should tell us what you are trying to accomplish by messing with it.

My advice to those with problems regarding the NetView service is to reboot the machine and see whether that clears it up. If not, then you may very well have to reinstall NetView. On Windows you can do that and the installer will detect that NetView is already installed and ask you whether you want to do an upgrade installation and merge the customizations of your old NetView with your new one. If you choose that option, then you will not lose anything. But before you go to that extreme I would open a problem with IBM Support and see whether they can assist you in resolving your issues.

The nv.log is the place where all the NetView daemons and processes write their error messages, so if it is growing to large proportions, then you need to examine it and take steps to resolve the issue reported there. Once again, IBM Support can be of assistance.

Finally I would caution you about using Remote Desktop or Terminal Services to control your NetView machine. Neither of those environments is supported because they have been shown to cause problems with NetView's process control. If you need remote access, we recommend VNC.

James Shanks
Tivoli Network Availability Management Level Three
Network Availability Management
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
1-919-224-1642 | T/L 687-1642 | ITN 26871642