Re: ruleset action

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: ruleset action
From: Simon Long <simon@NETTRACK.COM.AU>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:27:32 +1100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi,

I don't think I have the exact answer for you but here are some things I
would say to move towards a solution:-

1. Firstly, I presume your action that writes to the file works.   If not your
    problem may not be the display issue.
2. I seem to recall that the log file/s you can reference to check for
    error output on action nodes is nvaction.alog and/or nvaction.blog - check
    the timestamps.
3. Make sure the hostname resolution is working - I presume that you are
    not really adding in "-display hostname:0"  - you would want to
    ultimately be directing the output to an IP address.
4. You may want to manually redirect a display to the intended output
    display and test from the Netview Server machine to ensure that
    you don't have any authorisation issues ( which I would imagine
    would be indicated in one of the above logs ).
5. I  find that restarting actionsvr gives me some results when I make
    changes to ESE.automation entries - but this will, of course, affect
    other action processing.   And this highlights another important
    question:-

        "How are you activating the ruleset?  Are you using it via a
        dynamic workspace or via /usr/OV/conf/ESE.automation."

Regards,

Simon Long
Nettrack Technical Solutions Pty Ltd