Re: Problem regarding the TME 10 and Event Server!!

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Problem regarding the TME 10 and Event Server!!
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 16:41:41 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Sanjeev -

You already have a TEC server installed somewhere, correct?  If not, that
is a major undertaking.  And you need a relational database to store the
TEC events in.  And that requires Tivoli's RIM as well.

If you have  a TEC server, then setting up a TEC adapter should not be too
traumatic, since the process is similar to what you use setting up the
adapters which ship with TEC.    In fact, we usually point folks to TEC
event adapters guide when they have questions about how the NetView event
adapter works on NT.   Is someone in your shop familiar with TEC and its
adapters?

But your NT box does not require the Framework if you use the unsecured or
non-TME adapter and it does not need to be a TEC console.   And it probably
isn't big enough to be the TEC server.  It is not advisable to NetView and
the TEC server on the same box.  However, if you want to put a TEC console
on your NT box, then it must also have the Framework installed.  The TEC
consoles and server communicate via the Framework.

Let me know if you follow all this, because it sounds as if the Tivoli
environment is wholly new to you.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Sharma, Sanjeev" <Sanjeev.Sharma@USA.XEROX.COM> on 04/12/99 04:03:42 PM