Re: Routers that appears twice

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Routers that appears twice
From: Xu He <xuhe@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 08:57:53 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Yes, we see this at our locations a lot.  For us, it's a problem with
the DNS, for some strange reason, the WAN people at my client site
decided to give a DNS name for each interface on the router.  It's not
too briliant of an idea, but it's something i have to live with.
During the initial discovery ping sweep, it sees the address and
resolve a name to the address.  Since there are multiple DNS entries
associated with the same router, it creates two entries in the map.

What I ended up doing is delete both entry, put the ip address of the
interface I care about in the netmon.seed.  Once I discovered the
correct one, I demand poll it and most of the time it will generate a
correct symbol.  It's a painstaking process.

Hope this helps.
Xu He

--- Adrian Cappelletti <Adrian@TECNET.COM.AR> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Did it happen that 1 router appears twice in the
> same level of submap?. I mean: Suposse that you have
> a router with 4 interfaces. The situation is that in
> one symbol you see 2 interfaces and in a second
> symbol you see the others 2. But, all interfaces
> belong to a one router.
>
> Did anybody suffer something like this ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>                 Adrian

===
Xu He