Re: Routers that appears twice

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Routers that appears twice
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:27:11 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Having all interfaces named in DNS should not cause a problem for Netview.
It is the preferred approach, as long as all of the names are the same.
That is unless something has changed. I'm getting suspicious, though. In
the
cases  where you are seeing two nodes, does the DNS use the round-robin
approach?
That is, does it resolve the name to a different address each time? I've
seen
this a couple of times lately and it seemed to coincide with this sort of
problem. If that's the case, it seems like putting one entry in /etc/hosts
for
the router would solve the problem. With /etc/netsvc.conf set to
hosts=local,bind
the name would always resolve to the one address, and the rest of the
addresses
would resolve to the single name in DNS.

Another possiblity is that they are using HSRP and DNS has maybe a little
too
much information regarding the hsrp interface. This part always confuses
me,
so I won't say any more about that.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 04/19/99