Re: Routers that appears twice

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Routers that appears twice
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:05:35 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
(Sigh) When they have a different name on every interface, then I
have to put a name in /etc/hosts for every interface, all with the
same name, using the one I like best first. That overrides all of
the responses from DNS. This is sort of automatable using rnetstat -I
and piping it into awk. The name will always resolve to the first
address, and all of the addresses will resolve to the same name.

I think people do that sort of naming as a kind of bookkeeping,
but once Netview is up and running, it is no longer as useful, since
Netview shows you clearly what is what.

Netview can tell which interfaces are HSRP, and handle them properly
(if you are at 5.1.1.) It correctly moves them from one device to another
when that action happens. You must be sure that the sysname is different
on both devices. Check the trapd.log for HSRP records. Those
interfaces I leave out of the /etc/hosts and definitely leave them
out of the seedfile. Only one entry in the seedfile per device and
make sure it is NOT the hsrp interface. You can prevent the discovery
of a node by the HSRP interface, I believe, if you quickly discover
the real devices first by some other interface. Leaving it to chance
seems to lead to problems like this. So I always get the customer
to tell me exactly what their HSRP arrangements are up front, then
force the discovery if the devices involved with explicit entries
in the seedfile. If you carefully examine the address table with
rnetstat, you can see which device has the interface at any given
time. Make sure you know which device you are querying, though. I
use 'snmpwalk <someaddr> system' and check sysname and uptime to
distinguish devices. If something has already been found by an
interface that is not permanent, delete the device and redisover it.

Note that duplicate IP addresses for backup use is not the same case
as HSRP. That sort of thing is also handled by Netview, but differently.
Netview will complain briefly about the duplicate, but if one of them
is Administratively Down, it will understand what you are doing and
add it anyway. There is some discussion of this behavior in the
man page for netmon, or in the online help you see when you use the
daemon configuration options for netmon on the Tivoli desktop.

Actually, our Clients uses a different name for every router interface.
 Most of the time I can fix the problem by deleting the other
interfaces and demand poll one.  The problem arises when I see HSRP
running, we are using the standard x.x.x.1 for the virtual, and x.x.x.2
and x.x.x.3 for the actual interface address.  For some reason, all the
x.x.x.1's still resolves in the DNS.  I can't simply delete the
interfaces and demandpoll one because the virtual address actually
points to a existing router and will discover the x.2 or x.3 addresses
which already exist.  So netview will ignore it.

Unless, our client fixes the DNS (not likely), or there is a way to
specify which router has HSRP (which I believe there aren't currently,
but it would be a nice addition), I am currently SOL.  I am currently
just going to create a location object, and just group all those HSRP
interfaces in there for cosmetic purposes.

--- Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM> wrote:
> Having all interfaces named in DNS should not cause a problem for
Netview.