Re: nvsniffer

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: nvsniffer
From: Xu He <xuhe@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 05:40:42 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I think by default nvsniffer is simply a TCP port scanner, tell me if I
am wrong.  It pings the port to see if it exist, then it adds it to the
database.  I use it to discover services or applications where I know
exactly which TCP port it uses. If you application uses dynamic port as
some I have seen, I have to write a custom .DLL to detect them.  I
found nvsniffer most useful during initial discovery.  I found the
status check function to be somewhat inacurate, by default it checks
once every hour on the NT version.  When a service goes Down, you have
to wait an hour before the system will try it again.  If there's a easy
to launch nvsniffer against a particular service on demand, it may be
more helpful.

Xu He
Network Solutions, Inc