Re: $NVATTR attribute

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: $NVATTR attribute
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 12:09:18 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
No, not even close.  What this means is that there are no variables used in
this trap message at all, and that's what NVATTR_1 through NVATTR_50
display, namely,  trap variables.  If you read the man page on trapd.conf
you will see that $A is the agent address and that is all that is being
used here.  The rest is hard coded text.   The words "UPS" and "diagnostic
selftest ok" do not come from the trap at all, trapd.conf provides them.
If this is what you want to pass to your script in an action node in a
ruleset, you would do it just like trapd does it:
     /<path>/myscript  "UPS $NVA diagnostic selftest ok"

You cannot tell from the trapd.conf entry if there even are any variables
included in this trap.. To do that you would have to do as I suggested
before:  add  $*  at the end of that message (please use event
configuration and do not attempt to edit trapd.conf) so that the next time
it comes in all variables supplied with it will be displayed.  You can
always remove the $* later after you have seen what you need.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Matt Ashfield <mda@UNB.CA> on 05/26/99 08:33:18 AM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>