Re: Netview/SNMP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview/SNMP
From: "Todd E. Lewis" <telewis@PROVBANK.COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:51:08 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I have the TECAD_NV6K adapter setup and working. So I can just modify this for
any trap from any vendor and it should forward as long as TEC has the right
classes setup?

>>> Doug Horn <Doug_Horn@HSBC.CA> 06/29 12:37 PM >>>
Hi Todd

>Great. So you didn't install the snmp adapter on TEC, you >just let
netview receive the traps and then configed it to >forward to TEC, right?

Yes, we installed the tecad_nv6k adapter under Netview to forward events to
TEC.  You need to set up the configuration information in the
tecad_nv6k.conf file.  You also need to have the enterprise numbers set up
in the tecad_nv6k.oid file and a class defined in the tecad_nv6k.cds file.
The classes defined must match a defined class in a baroc file that is in
the loaded rule base on TEC.  If you miss one of these things you will not
see the events come through.

In the tecad_nv6k.conf file you will also want to set up filters because if
you do not you will get lots of 'node up', 'node down', 'link up', link
down' messages into TEC

>Cause I think the tecad APC install only works with the >older 3.1 version
of the TEC snmp adapter. By the way do >you have other traps (ie. netware,
bay, cisco) being >forwarded as well?

Yes we sent alerts from APC, 3Com switches (RMON) and some NetFinity stuff.
It should all go through as long as you configure the tecad_nv6k.oid & .cds
files and TEC baroc files properly.  Again if you miss a step it will not
work.

>Tivoli told me that the baroc creation from running >mib2trap does not
work in the NT world right now, only >unix. Is that your understanding as
well?

I believe that that was the case with Netview for NT 5.0, in 5.1 it did
work, although in gave an error message, and in 5.11 it worked but did not
give an error message.  I did not use it as I found it did not work very
well, i.e. it did not create all the classes I needed so I created them
myself.

You should find that most manufacturers who say thier product is 'Tivoli
Ready' or whatever supply the neccassary additions to the OID, CDS and
BAROC files.  So you do not need to do much work.  This was the case with
APC but not with NetFinity.  Since 3Com was using RMON the Netview stuff
was there, we just had to add classes to a BAROC file and play around with
slots to make the event usefull to read.

HTH
dug

>>> Doug Horn <Doug_Horn@HSBC.CA> 06/28 6:28 PM >>>
Hi

We have this exact setup and it works great.

We use Netview as our SNMP manager.  All SNMP alerts go to it.  The Netview
box runs the TEC Adapter, tecad_nv6k, to forward alerts to TEC.  There are
a number of files that are needed to be configured properly to make this
happen.  On the Netview side you need to configure the tecad_nv6k conf, oid
and cds files.  On the TEC side you need to configure the barcoc and
possibly rules files.

When we did the APC UPS's there was a disk that gave you files that could
be added to the environment to make all the new alerts get forwarded
properly.  There was an OID file which we added into the tecad_nv6k.oid
file, there was also a CDS file which we added to the existing tecad_nv6k
CDS file.  We did not have to modify the tecad_nv6k.conf file.

On the TEC side we needed to add the baroc file to our TEC rule base.  We
added it as its own baroc file, we did not copy it into an existing baroc
file.  We then recompiled the rule base, reloaded the rule base and stopped
and restarted the TEC server.

We also installed the PowerNet Manager software on the Netview system.
This allowed Netview to discover all the APC UPS's on the network, run
PowerNet from a pull down menu, etc.

Using PowerNet we could get an APC UPS to run a self test, this would cause
it to send an SNMP alert which would show up in TEC.

The bottom line is that APC gives you the config file additions you require
so that you do not have to create them yourself.  This is nice because I
think there are almost 100 SNMP alerts the UPS will generate and when you
type like me this would take for ever.

thnx
dug

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 09:54:22AM -0400, Todd E. Lewis wrote:
> So I'm sort of back to where I was. From what I understand there is
> no current way to forward these traps from netview (ie.. APC, Netware
> etc..) because NT does not at the moment support baroc configurations
> to TEC. Is that your understanding as well?

I'm not familiar with NT not supporting baroc config.  If it is indeed
a problem, then a possible temp work around would be to install the
TEC SNMP adapter to receive UPS traps & have the TEC SNMP adapter
on forward those events to TEC.  What this simply means is that you now
have most of your events forwarded to TEC by Netview while TEC SNMP
adapter is forwarding UPS traps.  A possible alternative.

> On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 07:58:36AM -0400, Todd E. Lewis wrote:
> > I've got a pmr open, and the tech tells me I should install it on TEC
> > to be able to receive traps from our ups's which has a rule base
compiled
> > on TEC. I'm alittle confused because I've thought all along that the
> > Netview server should act as the main snmp manager.
>
> TEC SNMP adapter is targetted at customer that do not have SNMP manager
> in place (ie no Netview, Openview, etc).  So for people with no Netview
> installed, the UPS traps (as in your example) would have to be forwarded
> to the box with the TEC SNMP Adapter.

> > A TEC adapter is a piece of code which ships events to TEC in a
language he
> > undertands.  The TEC server is about the only place you probably would
not
> > install a TEC adapter.   You can run the TEC SNMP adapter in the same
box as
> > NetView, though few people do.  It was originally designed by TEC to
install on
> > boxes which had no SNMP manager to report to.
> >
> > James Shanks
> > Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support
> >

> > "Todd E. Lewis" <telewis@PROVBANK.COM> on 06/25/99 02:21:01 PM
> >
> > Please respond to Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on
NetView

--
YEO Khee Seng                           yeoks@raleigh.ibm.com
The opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of IBM.