Re: Does Netview 5.1.1 on NT support RDBMSes???

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Does Netview 5.1.1 on NT support RDBMSes???
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 11:40:25 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
In my view the short answer to this question is "yes" and the long answer is
(supposed to be) "at least as much as the UNIX version does, and more because
events are kept there by default, in whatever RDBMS your SQL Server/ ODBC
drivers support".   At least that is how I understand it, and because  I am a
real rookie with NT,  ODBC and all that, I urge all those users familiar with
that stuff  to respond.

1.  Events on NT are kept in a relational database, either MS-Access (the
default) or whatever RDBMS your SQL Server on NT is configured for.    There was
a problem with using SQL Server at 5.1.1 when it came time to do a purge, so
some users stopped doing that and went back to MS-Access.  But this problem has
been fixed and an efix is available from Support if you need it.

2.  You can manually load topology up to that RDBMS any time you want, according
to my notes, by using the  topo2sql.exe
You can also do this from the GUI:  Programs --> NetView --> Tasks --> Export
Topology, and the you can view it.
You can also automate the topo upload with the "at" command I am told.

3. I thought there was a similar command to upload snmpCollect data too (so that
the NT product would at least as much functionality as the UNIX one with regard
to RDBMS) but as I don't deal with this on a regular basis, I cannot confirm
that now.
Anyone else tried this?  Want to look in /usr/ov/bin for a likely executable?
I could be wrong here but I urge you to go look first.

I know the User's Guide is very deficient in this area but development decided,
when they could not get additional resources for documentation updates for 5.1,
that they would provide function anyway, and try to address the lack of doc in
the next one (5.2??).  Some of this function was even available in 5.0a I
believe.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Xu He <xuhe@YAHOO.COM> on 07/09/99 08:25:13 AM