Re: mistery MAP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: mistery MAP
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:18:55 -0400
Well, what we are talking about here is a Xresource, and it could be set
anywhere, if someone were clever enough.
In OVw the line to change is
     OVw*mapname:      default
which is usually commented out.

But you can do this to verify what your settings are:
     appres  OVw
This Xcommand will list all the current OVw settings in effect.  You could just
echo that to a file and see if you can find an
OVw*mapname setting of test1.   If you do, then you know that somewhere there is
an override going on.  But if it is not in
/usr/OV/app-defaults/OVw or  $HOME/OVw   then it may be hard to find.   You can
use any file you like which contains
just this
     OVw*mapname:      test1

and then do          xrdb -merge <filename>    to change your defaults.

So you could try a find for all files named  OVw  on your box,  but even if you
don't find any others,  that doesn't mean someone did not edit some other
Xresource file and stick it in there.  Jeff, are there other Xresouce files that
your shop usually customizes?

NetView doesn't know how it gets set.  It just asks X for the current settings.

By the way, Leslie, that was a good call about the OVw resource file.  Since
that is usually commented out, I forgot all about it.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz@PRINCETON.EDU> on 08/31/99 03:15:47 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>