Re: Netview Version 6

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview Version 6
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 15:02:24 -0400

I am not aware that anything is published about NetView V6.  If it is, it will
be on the Tivoli website.

As for rumors, I'll leave those to other people, but I will comment on at least
some of your  items:

>>   In particular, I'm looking for the following kind of info:
>>- Client and Server interop.   Will we finally be able to connect an NT
>>client to a UNIX server?

I doubt this will ever happen, and for the same reason that you cannot have a
Digital UNIX server or client with its counterpart on AIX or Solaris.  The
underlying operating systems are far too different.  The client-server setup in
NetView is simply an offload of the GUI to a different machine than the one
which runs the daemons.  But all the underlying system structure  and code is
the same.  But as the NT GUI is not an X GUI it will not likely ever be a client
to a UNIX machine, and vice-versa.

With attended MLM however there has already been some movement toward
integrating NT and UNIX.  But I would look for improvements to the web interface
rather than anything new in client-server.

>>- NT function being implemented on UNIX (e.g. Smart Sets, the Explorer,
>>Spray Pings)

SmartSets are the NT term for Collections.  They already exist in UNIX.  And
netmon on UNIX has a similar function to spray ping in the -J option.   As for
the Explorer, all I can say is that I have heard even the developers say that
they wished they had this feature, so maybe it will be ported.  The only
statement I can make is that code and function convergence between NT and UNIX
is a priority acknowledged by the development manager.  What will actually make
it into the next version hasn't been formally announced yet.

>>- UNIX function being implemented on NT (e.g. MLM configuration, APM,
>>etc).

Don't know what the future holds there.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Chris Cowan <chris.cowan@2ND-WAVE.COM> on 09/28/99 03:26:19 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

Has anything been published (e.g. Statements of Direction) concerning
the features and functionality we can expect from Netview 6.x?

In particular, I'm looking for the following kind of info:
- Client and Server interop.   Will we finally be able to connect an NT
client to a UNIX server?
- NT function being implemented on UNIX (e.g. Smart Sets, the Explorer,
Spray Pings)
- UNIX function being implemented on NT (e.g. MLM configuration, APM,
etc).

Any pointers, or even rumors would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Chris