Re: Netview Version 6

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview Version 6
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:14:31 -0400

NetView and HP OpenView are now significantly different products.   They have
been diverging since NetView V2 and haven't shared any new code since about
1992.  The NetView client architecture was developed independently, for good or
ill, by IBM in 1994 and introduced in V4 in 1995.   How they do it in HP
OpenView is irrelevant.  We neither know nor care.

I have said on this forum many times that what is going  on in OpenView has
little or no bearing on NetView development.  Our developers do not have
OpenView installed and are not looking at its functions or features for
guidance.  And while it is interesting to know what  OpenView does, this is not
a guide to the future of NetView.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Chris Cowan <chris.cowan@2ND-WAVE.COM> on 09/28/99 08:15:48 PM