Re: Netview Version 6

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview Version 6
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 17:26:05 -0400

Possible?  Nothing is impossible if you are willing to start over and re-design
code from the ground up.  I didn't say it couldn't be done; I said it probably
wouldn't.  The Tivoli desktop, which isn't nearly as sophisticated as the
NetView desktop, was designed differently from the get-go.  The Tivoli desktop
is just a front- end for the oserv running on that box.  It is the oserv on the
box with the desktop which talks to the other oserv on the server.  But the
NetView client has no daemon process to do what the oserv does.  It is just a
desktop and it must therefore be of the same type as the server.

So what did I say?  I said I don't think they are going to re-design the NetView
client-server.  Instead I think what they will do is improve the web interface
so you won't need an Xclient or a Windows client.  That's the industry direction
after all, not just NetView's.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Dean Grant <dgrant@AHOLDUSA.COM> on 09/28/99 05:14:37 PM