Re: Netview and ARS (Remedy) integration

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview and ARS (Remedy) integration
From: Gurjit Gill <Gurjit.Gill@CGI.CA>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 11:04:58 -0400
Hi

To enable the arnvd daemon to capture traps from Netview it requires an entry
for each of the traps be made in the ARS-Netview trap mapper (this is done by
running the command arnvui- which is a gui utility with the ARS-Remedy tool).
ARS-Netview trap mapper requires the the following information for each of the
traps that needs capturing

     Field                    Value we are using
     Enterprise Object Id          1.3.6.1.4.1.1031
     Generic Trap             Enterprise
     Specific trap            9997 (It takes values depending on the the trap
specific)
     Trap expanded name       PATROL ALERT
     Schema              ISD-Alarm-Record (<servername>)

The last field is used to do mapping from the Trap to the ARS to populate the
field in the ARS event creation.

We are using a shell function to send traps which is as follows:

function send_snmptrap  {

        case $1 in
        failure ) error_code=9998;;
        start   ) error_code=9997;;
        success ) error_code=9996;;
        esac

        if [ $# != 3 ]; then
        /oprtn/script/snmptrap -h lilly .1.3.6.1.4.1.1031 $(hostname) 6
$error_code 0, .0 OctetString "$2";
        else
        /oprtn/script/snmptrap -h lilly .1.3.6.1.4.1.1031 $(hostname) 6
$error_code 0, .0 OctetString "$2",  .0 OctetString "$3";
        fi
}

lilly is the netview host . This is also the host where arnvd runs.

the calls to this function are as follows

          send_snmptrap failure novg "Bad or missing config. file"
          send_snmptrap failure novg " Tape drive not accessible "
     send_snmptrap start  rootvg
     send_snmptrap failure rootvg " mksysb encountered problems "
     send_snmptrap success rootvg

The arnvd daemon registers with netview and gets copies of all traps send to
netview. Based on the entries in the trap mapper it either passes them to Remedy
or ignores them.

I hope this clears some of the confusion created by my early query.

I have created the Trap mapper entries in the same way I created for other traps
generated by Patrol or Snmp Agents. However the traps sent by the snmp command
are logged by the Netview console but not registered by the arnvd daemon. The
problem is most likely to be the way in which I send the traps. Either I am not
populating all the fields or the traps are not being routed properly (by pass
arnvd).

Gurjit