Re: netview & HACMP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: netview & HACMP
From: Ken Garst <Ken.Garst@KP.ORG>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 06:28:49 -0700
I have installed a 2-node cascading cluster on 39H hosts using HACMP 4.3,  AIX
4.3.2, NetView 5.1.2, Tivoli Framework 3.6.1 and Oracle  with the RIM server,
TMR server and NetView server on one node and the Oracle DBMS on the other node.

First, the cluster does NOT have to be concurrent access.  It most definitely
can be either rotating or cascading.

Second, what event did you define the pre-event scripts to be triggered from?
I am not sure what your pre-event scripts are to do, but HACMP takes care of
the varyon of all shared external filesystems.  To make NetView highly
available, the /usr/OV filesystem should be located on the shared external
disks.  I did the same for the Tivoli Framework.  (Incidentally, in my case the
alternate node was NOT a Tivoli managed node or an endpoint client.)  I also
considered my cluster to use IPADDR takeover AND hardware address takeover.

Third, although I did not do it, an application CAN be registered with HACMP so
that when the cluster manager monitors it and when the application fails, HACMP
can initiate a node failover if you promote the appl failure to a node failure.

Fourth, although you didn't mention it, I activated Tivoli's kerberos for my
cluster but not the HACMP enhanced security.  The Tivoli kerberos is a manual
setup but works slick.  Unfortunately for us, the Tivoli kerberos daemon is
twice the size in bytes that the SP's PSSP kerberos that HACMP enhance security
uses.  One distinct difference between the two kerberi is that the Tivoli
kerberos does not support multiple realms while the PSSP kerberos does.

Regards,
ken
ken.garst@kp.org