Monitoring systems reloading...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Monitoring systems reloading...
From: Steve Francis <steve.francis@COMMSERV.UCSB.EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 15:44:10 -0800
To expand on my ealier question...

How is everyone else monitoring whether systems reload?
I think this is an inportant thing to monitor (I sure want to know if my router
reloads due to a ROM error, and I imagine other people do too...)
Agent up traps are all well and good, but if its a router or a host running
gated, then most likely the device does not have a route to the monitoring
station at the time the trap is sent, as routing has not converged.  If the
system can reload and be up again within the 5 minute polling interval, then I
have no indication that something was amiss.

I cant believe I'm the only one trying to do this, so how are others doing it?

Can't monitor sysuptime with Netview's Data Collection and Thresholds facility,
as that only has thresholds that exceed limits, while in this case I want a
threshold tripped if its less than a limit.

MLM no longer works, as it wont let you compare values to a timeticks object.

So what's the answer?