Re: Problems using NetView 6.0 for Unix

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Problems using NetView 6.0 for Unix
From: Bill Evans <wvevans@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 19:16:38 -0400
Two answers for two questions.

1) My investigations show a very sensitive relationship between DNS and Demand
Poll.  (Lots of comments in this news group over the past year.)  A DNS which
does not resolve your names to address and vice versa is poison to good
performance in general and Demand Poll in particular although there are other
reasons.

2) SUN messed things up when they updated the SWING plug-in after Tivoli
finished testing the Web Client.  The "current" plug-in doesn't work.  Tivoli is
distributing the back level of the plug-in as a PMR solution but it's not a
patch for NetView. (I have a copy.)  I find it's better to go to the
\usr\OV\www\hpdocs\downloads directory and get the ZIP file there for your NT
machines and the TAR file there for your AIX ones.  The straight Java Applet
seems to work much better than trying to mess with it under a Web Browser.

NetView doesn't do patches like the Framework folks do.  They package their
fixes all together in a maintenance release and test them before releasing them.
They will send e-fixes for PMRs though.

--
Bill Evans  --  Consultant in Enterprise Systems Management
reply-to: wvevans@prodigy.net