Read-only map updates.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Read-only map updates.
From: BAUDOUX BERNARD <bernard.baudoux@fortisbank.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:05:45 +0200
Hello,

I have NetView 5.1.2 with AIX 4.2

I have experienced some strange behaviour with the propagation of objects
status between the read-write map and read-only instances of it.

When an object changes color (from green to yellow or red) this update is
sometimes propagated automatically to read-only maps, sometimes not.   When
they are not, we have to refresh the read-only maps (menu File item
Refresh).
It seems diffcult to specify when the propagation occurs and when it does
not.   Maybe I have some guidelines, but I'm not sure of : when a node is
removed from the network (and deleted from the read-write map), it is not
updated in read-only.   When an interface is unmanaged in read-write, it is
not updated in read-only.

Is there a way to refresh them automatically (the goal is to have help desk
operator to he aware of any problem just by looking at those read-only maps
at a glance ?   We do not want them to get the read-write instance.

Is it the same behaviour with NetView 6 ? (with the Web access to the map ?)

Any help most welcome.
thanks in advance,
Bernard Baudoux
Phone: +32 (0)2/565.24.68