Re: SNMPv1/SNMPv2

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: SNMPv1/SNMPv2
From: Bob Natale <bnatale@acecomm.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 01:48:38 -0500
Hi Jochen,

>> Btw, if anybody wants a set of v3-enabled apps to test against
>> v3 agents, please feel free to download the Auto*Manage package
>> from the [Products] page at www.winsnmp.com.
>
>There is also net-snmp (former ucd-snmp) which comes with a full
>set of SNMP commands as well as an SNMPv3 capable agent.

Yes, in fact, the limited testing we have done of our SNMPv3
engine and apps was done against a fairly basic build of the
net-snmp agent.  We are hopeful of seeing more people test
the SNMPv3 aspects of the Auto*Manage pacakge against more
diverse and more complex SNMPv3 net-snmp agents.

I apologize for (moderately, I hope) usurping some of this
NetView list's bandwidth...getting more SNMPv3 scenarios
tested and, hopefully, commented on in such groups is
important to the technical evolution and wider acceptance
of SNMPv3 in general.  Certainly, the availability of the
net-snmp tools is a major positive contribution to that
goal.  Thanks.

Cordially,

BobN
-------------- ISO 9001 Registered Quality Supplier -------------
Bob Natale             | ACE*COMM              | 301-721-3000 [v]
Dir, Network Mgmt Prod | 704 Quince Orchard Rd | 301-721-3001 [f]
Bob.Natale@acecomm.com | Gaithersburg MD 20878 | www.acecomm.com
--------------- Info and evals at www.winsnmp.com ---------------