Re: Fwd: [RE: Forwarding events from Netview to TEC]

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: [RE: Forwarding events from Netview to TEC]
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 16:05:41 -0500
When everything is working correctly, then wtdumprl should show you events
from NetView in the reception log on the TEC.  Even if it is unconfigured
you should see those events arrive and cause parsing failures there.   I
don't know what you mean when you say the cache file size has not grown.
If it is there at all, then you are not getting a connection to the TEC.
Is the file system full or something? With forwardall.rs as the rule in
tecint.conf, anything you see in a dynamic workspace running the same
ruleset should be sent to TEC, and it should be written to the cache file
if nvserverd is actively trying to send it and cannot.  But how many times
the underlying adpater code (which comes from TEC ) will try before giving
up is release dependent, I believe. So you might want to restart things.
 Also ping does not guarantee connectivity in this case.  You have to get a
TCP connection which means an open session handshake.  Events will not
"leave the box" until a viable session has been established.   Have you
checked the TEC server to see if portmapper is running with ps -ef?    Can
you or the TEC guy determine what the default port is that TEC was
installed or configured with?

Perhaps you should review the section on configuring events for  forwarding
to the TEC in the Installation  and Configuration Guide.     That might
suggest something you have not done.  I don't know.  But when nvserverd is
started or restarted, if there is a /usr/OV/conf/tecint.conf, he will try
to use it to forward events to TEC.  You can also start and stop that
process once the file is there with the nvtecia line command.  See the man
page on nvtecia for details.  You can also just re-cycle the nvserverd
daemon.

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT