Re: Format trap manually

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Format trap manually
From: James_Shanks@tivoli.com
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 08:41:47 -0400
I'm not certain I understand your problem.  Are we talking UNIX or NT?
Since they call it "Trap Settings" in NT, and you called it "Trap
Customization", I am assuming UNIX.

Did you read the part on Configuring Events in The NetView for UNIX
Administrator's Guide?   It's short, in Chapter 5.

You use xnmtrap (that's what Trap Customization from the GUI runs and you
can just type in "xnmtrap" from the command line to start it if you like).
Almost everything I am going to tell you can be learned by reading the Help
panel that comes up when you click that "Help" button on the bottom.

Start with the enterprise.
Is the Cisco enterprise (1.3.6.1.4.1.9) in the enterprise list?
If not, click "add" to the right and add it.

Once it is there, select it and go to the bottom half of the panel and do
the same thing -- click "add".
Then fill in the blanks:
Event name -- your choice, call it what makes sense to you
Since the generic type is 6, this is an enterprise specific trap, so you
need only put the number (1)  in the enterprise specific trap number.
Event description -- optional.  Use any description you like to explain
what this trap means.  An operator can see this from the event window by
selecting an event  and clicking "Options --> Event Description"
Skip the sources part -- you aren't ready for that yet.
TEC class -  skip that too for now, because you have to use an existing TEC
class or change the TEC baroc file
Event  Category -- the default is status, that's probably what this is, but
you can click the radio button and make it whatever you like.
Default status -- if you choose status" event then this is where you can
choose what status it will be and thus what color it will have in the
display.
     This is so your operators know which events they need to be concerned
about.
Severity -- again, your choice.  his is so your operators know what to pay
the most attention to.
Source Character.  This can be anything you like, but we prefer "A".  trapd
will shows this then as an "Agent" trap.  What other choices?  Look in the
man page for trapd.conf or click the help button at the bottom of the
screen.
Do Not Forward -- unless you have already configured trapd to forward traps
somewhere, leave this alone.
Event Log Message -- this is the text you will see in trapd.log and the
event window.  Here is where you can use your variables.  $1, $2, etc.
through $6.  The hostname of who sent it is $A.  The community string is
$C.  The man page on trapd.conf explains all these.   The catch is that you
must know what the variables mean.  Since this is a Cisco trap, you will
have to refer to Cisco documentation to find out what the variables mean.
Look in the MIBs supported by  this device if you have nothing else.  You
can make the text say anything you like.  "Device $A has experienced
problem $5" for example, assuming the fifth variable contains problem text.
PopUp Notification -- you can cause an information window to pop-up on the
operator's screen when the event comes in.  If you want that, enter the
text you want it to have here.  You can pass the variables $1 - $6, and any
of the other elements to the text.
Command for Automatic Action (Optional) - If you have some script you want
run when this event comes in, put the full path to it here.  You can pass
the variables here too if you like.

Now click "OK".   Then "OK" to exit xnmtrap.  Done.

Is there some particular part you don't understand?

James Shanks
Team Leader, Level 3 Support
 Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

mans.langert@se.ibm.com@tkg.com on 04/04/2001 04:35:11 AM