Re: Ruleset correlation issues

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ruleset correlation issues
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 16:20:40 -0400
Never start your ruleset with a Query Collection.
Understand that if you do, then every trap that comes through your system,
even the one which are "Log Only", will cause nvcorrd to pause, format a
call to nvcold, who will then query ovwdb,  and wait for an answer.
Usually, this causes horrible performance problems and trap processing gets
very behind  when ovwdb processing.  In this case, you could get more than
nine minutes behind just processing the traps.

You should do the Query Collection after you have checked the Trap Settings
for Node Up/Node Down so that you only query the databases for a small
fraction of the traps that come through your system.

There is a note on Ruleset Performance that I have posted to the list
several times.  You may want to extract it from the archives and give it a
look.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT