Re: ruleset, trapd.conf corruption causes/fixes?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: ruleset, trapd.conf corruption causes/fixes?
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:49:50 -0400
Todd -

I am sorry for your difficulties.  Perhaps I can clarify some things, but
the bottom line is that you need to apply more current maintenance. NetView
6.0?  Why not 6.0.2?  I cannot emphasize enough that you cannot expect to
run code over two years old without finding bugs.  We fixed several nvcorrd
memory management problems since the code you are running was built.
That's why we issue maintenance.  Sorry if it sounds like I am preaching,
but without a new nvcorrd binary, you are probably stuck.

Does your ruleset have a reset-on-match?  Then you need 6.0.2.

Now, what makes you think trapd.conf is corrupted?
If trapd can run with it, then it cannot be much of a problem.
Normally a serious error in trapd.conf will result in trapd not starting
and a message issued as to what line of trapd.conf is bad.

You can also check trapd.conf by using xnmtrap. If it can load the
trapd.conf, then usually so can trapd.  I have only seen one case where not
and we are still working on that -- someone illegally imported a trapd.conf
file from OpenView and caused the thing to die.  We don't support that.
But otherwise it is impossible to corrupt trapd.conf with either xnmtrap or
addtrap because errors are rejected.

How does trapd know when to load a new a file?     Usually when you press
the last "OK" button in xnmtrap, a new trap called "Format Change" is sent
to trapd and he then reloads the trapd.conf file.  You can force a reload
any time you want with the event command, which you can use the issue that
trap, like this:
     event -e FMTCHG

No daemons other that trapd and ovactiond are affected by a change in
trapd.conf.  It has no effect on netmon, nvcorrd, or any others.

So I'd guess your trapd.conf is probably fine but your nvcorrd needs to be
replaced.
Only Support can help you with that now.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Please note that my new id is jshanks@us.ibm.com