Re: ruleset, trapd.conf corruption causes/fixes?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: ruleset, trapd.conf corruption causes/fixes?
From: netview@toddh.net (Todd H.)
Date: 21 Sep 2001 14:59:46 -0500

I must be getting better at this James.  I'm starting to actually
understand your replies.  :-)   Thanks for the excellent tips.

Question:  how portable are rulesets across NetView versions?  Will a
6.02 rulset run on a back-level server?   I've been told by coworkers
that it seems to work in many instances.

What's interesting now that trapd.conf is well again, is that I'm
seeing rulset corruption (still in NV6.0--finding a patched server as
we speak), yet trapd.conf is fine this time--no syntax errors
reported.

Are there known problems in 6.0 with rulsets containing a Threshold
node?  All was well yesterday, with this ruleset (it has only Trap
Settings, Forward, and one Threshold in it), but when I went to edit
the ruleset today, one of my nodes moved on me and is now connected to
something else!  At least nvcorrd doesn't seem to mind running it, but
it's very strange.

Off to a 6.02 server.....

Thanks again for your immensely helpful replies!
Todd

"James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com> writes:
> If trapd is running, and you issue "event -e FMTCHG",  trapd will try to
> reload /usr/OV/conf/C/trapd.conf.
> If successful, trapd just starts using the new file and no messages are
> produced.
>   If there are syntax errors in the file, you will see an error message
> about them in trapd.log.
 [snip]