Re: ruleset, trapd.conf corruption causes/fixes?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: ruleset, trapd.conf corruption causes/fixes?
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS@us.tivoli.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 10:55:47 -0400
Rulesets are generally portable.  The ruleset itself is just an ASCII file.
They are always upward compatible.  Downward is a bit riskier.  For
example, the Query Smartset node was added in either Version 5.0 or 5.1, I
don't remember which.  Obviously it could not work in earlier versions.
The real issue is the underlying code in nvcorrd.  There has never been a
maintenance release when we did not fix something in nvcorrd -- a core due
to an unexpected condition, a memory leak, something -- so using a current
ruleset, one which works fine on 6.0.2 for example, may cause problems on
6.0 if that ruleset uses a function we fixed in a later release.

That said, I do not know of any problems with the Threshold Node.

There is a distinction to be made between the editor, nvrsEdit, which you
use to examine or construct a ruleset, and nvcorrd, the daemon which runs
it.  The use the same load mechanism, so that nvcorrd cam always load
whatever you can build, but you must make sure that what you save is what
you intend.  For example, once you start connecting nodes in the ruleset
with the editor, it will automatically connect the next node you add to the
last one.  That convenience feature may not be what you intend to happen.
If your ruleset is large, or your GUI slow, the re-draw by the X-server may
not happen for several seconds and I have seen people miss the fact that a
connection was made that they did not explicitly draw.  I always recommend
that you use the Edit --> Refresh Layout function in the editor before you
save the ruleset so you can be sure that what you are saving is what you
intend.

Hope this helps.

What symptoms are you seeing which makes you think that your trapd.conf is
(still) corrupted?
It might be but without some indication of what makes you think so, I
couldn't say what to do.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT