Re: mib2trap error:brocade

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: mib2trap error:brocade
From: "CATALINA MARTINEZ" <CATALINA.MARTINEZ@tlc.state.tx.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:29:55 -0500
James,

I looked at the files and you are correct: no traps were defined in 2 of the
mibs. The mib that I got the errors did have traps defined so I ended it up
manually entering them.
thanks for your help.

>>> SHANKS@us.tivoli.com 09/21/01 11:42AM >>>
Catalina -

mib2trap only creates trap definitions out of MIBs which have TRAP-TYPE or
NOTIFICATION-TYPE statements in them.
TRAP-TYPE statements (SNMP V1) and NOTIFICATION-TYPE statements   (SNMP V2)
are how traps are defined in MIBs.
If your MIBs don't define traps, then mib2trap will produce no output.

I cannot know for certain without looking at the MIB but I suspect that is
why this happens:
     >> Then when I run mib2trap on v2_4FE.mib and v2_
`    >> SW.mib. I dont get any errors just an empty  script.
If they don't have any traps defined, then mib2trap has nothing to do.

As for why this happens,
     >> When I run mib2trap for v2_4TRP.mib I get:
     >> " ERRORs- no script generated"
     >> and nothing else.
I haven't a clue, because that message is only produced if the parse fails,
and I don't see how that could happen without another error message.
But I can't diagnose your problem without looking at the MIB and I cannot
do that here.  I am not permitted to take user problems off the lis.
You must go through channels and call Support to get someone who can look
at those MIBs to  figure out what it the matter.

Sorry but that is the best I can do.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT